Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Tasty Taco Salad Make-Over....


FIESTA TIME!!!!

A year ago I posted my favorite Taco Salad Recipe on here and SCS. As I have spent this past year studying and learning how to make-over my favorite recipes into better tasting, lower calorie treats, I discovered the my loaded Taco Salad recipe that I thought was good for me was actually contributing to my down fall.... So staying with the Theme of the day and to pay tribute to National Salad month here is my Made-Over Tasty Taco Salad recipe for the day.

Tasty Taco Salad


Prep Time: 20 mins * Total Time: 20 mins * Makes:4 servings

4 whole wheat flour tortillas (8 inch)
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup of chopped white or yellow onion
1 small clove of chopped fresh garlic
1 teaspoon of dry taco seasoning mix
1/4 cup warm water
salt & pepper to taste
4 cups shredded lettuce or baby spinach
1 cup Finely Shredded Four Cheese
1 large tomato, chopped
1 medium cucumber, chopped
1 medium avocado, chopped
1/4 cup sour cream (about 1 tablespoon per person)
1/2 cup salsa (about 2 tablespoons per person)

CRUMPLE 4 large sheets of foil to make 4 (3-inch) balls; place on baking sheet. Place 1 tortilla over each ball; spray with low-cal cooking spray. Bake 6 to 8 min. or until tortillas are golden brown. (Tortillas will drape over balls as they bake.)
*by using whole wheat and baking shells instead of frying or using store bought chips you save 80 calories per person

MEANWHILE, cook meat with onion, garlic, taco seasoning mix, salt & pepper and warm water.
*by cooking your meat with the following ingredients instead of browning it in 2 tablespoons of oil you save 120 calories per person

FILL shells with lettuce, meat mixture, cheese and vegetables just before serving top with sour cream and salsa.
*by measuring and using sour cream and salsa instead of salad dressing you save 60 calories per person

So by making-over my Favorite Taco Salad, I have saved myself 260 calories... going from 580 to 320.

I hope you all enjoy! Happy Cinco De' Mayo

No comments: